Fiber optic technology
Fiber optics: Light speed for your home
- Surf at speeds of up to 1 Gbit/s with the same upload/download speed on the fiber optic network
- Simultaneous use - reliably fast, even when every device in your home, and in the entire city for that matter, is online
- Ultimate cloud enjoyment - securely store large amounts of data online or share high-quality files with friends
Check fiber optic availability where you live
Attention: Some households with connections do not yet have a fiber optic cable outlet; it will have to be installed. If that is your situation, please call 0800 707 707.
- If your apartment is already connected to the fiber optic cable network, you should also have a fiber optic cable outlet.
- In order to connect the ordered products to your outlet, we have to known the number of your fiber optic cable outlet, which is called the OTO ID.
- Your building manager or the previous tenant should be able to give you this information.
Location of the fiber optic cable outlet
- The fiber optic cable outlet is normally located in the living room, usually next to the main telephone outlet.
- If you have a multi-media box, the fiber optic cable outlet may also be inside it.
OTO ID – the number of the fiber optic cable outlet
- The number is printed on the outlet.
- It generally starts with the letter A or B, but sometimes O or WP, and has the following format: A.XXX.XXX.XXX.X.
Example of a fiber optic cable outlet, including OTO ID:
Communicate the number to Sunrise
- Enter the number in the "OTO ID of fiber optic connection" field when you process the order.
- If you have submitted the order without including the OTO ID, please call 0800 707 707 to give us the number.
Technical details of the fiber optic cable outlet
- The fiber optic cable outlet is an optical telecommunications outlet (Optical Termination Outlet; OTO).
- It has a unique identification number, known as the OTO ID.
- The fiber optic cable (patch cable) is plugged into it.
- It forms the optical interface between your device and the fiber optic cable network outlet.
- A fiber optic cable outlet may have up to four ports – the numbers 1 to 4 are printed in small type at the bottom of the fiber optic cable outlet.
- During the activation process, we will inform you which ports are used for your products.
The Sunrise fiber optic cable network is growing continuously. Thanks to cooperation with local energy suppliers and Swiss Fibre Net, it already covers most of Switzerland.
Find a list of our fiber optic cable partners and more information about fiber optics here.
- The switch to fiber optics can take 2 to 8 weeks, depending on your situation.
- The existing connection, however, will only be disconnected 14 days after the switch to fiber optics. This ensures that your services remain uninterrupted.
- If you are a new Sunrise customer, we will send everything to you by post.
- If you are a current Sunrise customer, we will check what Sunrise devices you already have at home. If you need any new devices, we will send them to you.
- A technician or electrician will install the fiber optic cable outlet.
- If you have ordered home installation, a technician from Cablex will also help install your new modem and TV Box.