Premium SMS messages
SMS and MMS added value services
- A wide selection of offerings provided at an extra charge, such as horoscopes, news, sports, ring tones, erotica, donations, competitions, and games.
- The service providers are responsible for the content, services, and prices of the offerings.
- You can block Premium SMS in My Sunrise – All services or even just single categories or SMS short numbers. These services can be used from the age of 16. Informations regarding youth protection.
Specifically, the payment services in question are a system by which a customer of a telecommunications service provider places the order for invoicing and for forwarding payment to a value-added service provider. As a consequence, the telecommunications service provider functions as a financial intermediary. In this way, funds originating from illegal sources can enter this para-banking system as well.
Sunrise is therefore forced to introduce a transaction limit of CHF 5,000.– per contractual partner per year on value-added services such as 090x numbers, Premium SMS services, and Sunrise Pay and to monitor the cash flows running through the relevant providers. The measures to be taken apply equally to all telecommunications service providers and competitors of Sunrise in Switzerland.
In order to ensure legal requirements are met, Sunrise will implement the following measures - foreseeably by August 1, 2020:
- Private customers, sole proprietors and micro-businesses: Value-added services including Premium SMS services and Sunrise Pay are available as usual, but are automatically blocked after sales of CHF 5,000.– per customer (person or company) are reached.
- Business customers: Value-added services, including Premium SMS services and Sunrise Pay, are generally blocked and are no longer available to employees of SMEs and large customers. Due to the size of the customer and the required manual blocking, compliance with the minor threshold cannot be guaranteed.
We ask for your understanding.
Questions and answers on this topic
Which services are affected?
090x numbers: Paid hotlines for information, consultation, support, or for participating in discussion forums, contests, etc.
Data value-added services (Premium SMS):
SMS/MMS Business numbers: Paid SMS/MMS for buying public transport tickets, ringtones, mobile games, or for vending machine purchases.
Apple Store, Google Playstore, or other online shops where digital products are purchased and billed using a Sunrise mobile subscription or prepaid credit.
Which business customers are affected by the general block?
All business customers of any legal form are included in the general blocking of value-added services, with the exception of individual and micro-enterprises, where manual blocking via the individual connections can be guaranteed due to the minor threshold.
How is the transaction limit calculated?
The transaction limit of CHF 5,000.–/year refers to the contract holder and is not calculated per phone number. A transaction limit is reached when a contract holder reaches the limit amount across all his numbers (including numbers at Sunrise, Yallo and Lebara). The sales of all value-added services or the sales of value-added services from all providers are cumulative.
What happens when the transaction limit is reached?
Shortly before the annual transaction limit of CHF 5,000.– is reached, the customer is informed that he will be blocked from further consumption of these services. If the customer reaches the annual transaction limit, the value-added services will be blocked until the end of the year for which that particular transaction limit is calculated.
- Premium SMS offers can be obtained either on a one-time or subscription basis.
- Charges appear on the Sunrise bill, but the providers are responsible for determining the prices.
- Further information can be found on the information page of OFCOM.
Tip: Always read the fine print very carefully to ensure that you aren't inadvertently using a premium SMS subscription. Please pay particular attention to rates and purchase conditions when you download ring tones, pictures and games, or when using adult content services.
- Depending on the service, up to CHF 100.00 per message could be charged.
- For subscribers, the premium SMS messages sent using this subscription shouldn't cost more than CHF 5.00 for less than one minute and shouldn't exceed the total amount of CHF 400.00 per registration.
- It is possible to register for several services and subscriptions using the same short number.
In order to deactivate a premium SMS subscription, you will need the deactivation command and the SMS short number of the provider. You can find this in the general information provided by the service, for example, on the website or in the advertisement.
Tip: In the provider search you will find all premium SMS providers and can contact them directly via phone or e-mail.
- STOP keyword => Cancel registration with the corresponding service, e.g., send STOP weather to 999.
- STOP ALL => Cancel registration with all services of this provider or this short number, e.g., send STOP ALL to 999.
Tip: Protect yourself from unexpected costs.
In My Sunrise, you can set an individual Premium SMS cost limit.
- If you reach or exceed the limit, all SMS value-added services are blocked.
- The cost limit for Premium SMS services can be removed at any time either for the current month or permanently.
- Please note that the cost of MMS value-added services is not included in the limit and MMS services are therefore not blocked by reaching the limit.